How to create different language versions of Novosoft Office Backup
The user can participate in translating Novosoft Office Backup into new languages. More detailed information is given below:
- All resources for different languages can be found in xml-files that are located in the Novosoft Office Backup installation directory, in the subdirectory Customizes.
- To create a new language version, it is necessary to copy the file "English.xml" to the same directory, rename and translate it. The name of the file will be displayed in the Languages menu of the application and must indicate the language to which the translation has been made.
- After a new xml-file has been created or modified, it is necessary to restart Novosoft Office Backup for the modifications to take effect.
- When translating original English resources, keep in mind the following information:
- It is necessary to translate only text data, located within the elements "string". For example, in the element
only the word "Backup" is translated.
- The document structure, element names and their parameters must stay invariable.
- The parameter encoding in the header of the xml-file must indicate the encoding of national symbols, which will be used for storing text data in the xml document, for example:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1251">
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
Note: At the moment, Novosoft Office Backup does not support Unicode, this is why xml documents with the values "UTF-8", "UTF-16" (or other Unicode encodings) indicated as the encoding parameter may cause the application failure.
- According to the xml notation (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/), the following symbols must be indicated as predefined entities references and character references:
- The formatting symbols (%s, %d etc) must stay invariable and in the same order in the lines where they are indicated.
- The symbol "&" (&) usually indicates a hot-key (it is underlined when displayed) for accerting control or a menu item by pressing Alt and a corresponding hot-key symbol. At switching to another language, hot-key symbols must get changed this way to stay unique in the active window.
- If some lines are missing in any xml-file, or if some lines are not located according to original English resources, the text from original English resources will be displayed.
Main Menu -> Help
Go to Help Contents